A Definitive Guide to Clean Fishing Reels
Are you fond of fishing? Then, you must own fishing reels. Also, you need to know how to ensure its cleanliness? Fishing reels get dirty each time you use it; no matter if we use it in freshwater or saltwater. The productivity of your reel may decrease significantly if you leave it without cleaning regularly.
Besides, to preserve its durability, you must clean fishing reels every time after using it. But, how can you clean it? Let’s learn.
The first rule is
“Do not wash it directly with a hose rather than following some required steps.”
We have added a few essential steps that you should consider
- The first thing to do is tightening the drag on the reel and damping it with warm water and soap with the help of a piece of sponge. Do not soak or wash it in water under high pressure because this will damage the gear and drag system. Now, clean it with fresh water and let it dry after wiping the reel.
- The spool needs washing too. You need to remove it first. Then, wash it from under the spool and the top of the reel rotor. Only after that, you can wash the salt and all kinds of dirt from it.
- Afterwards, you need to finish wiping the reel with a piece of cloth that already has lubricant protectant sprayed on it. You can wipe them to dry, spray the reel using WD40-type surface spray and try to keep it away from the line for further reaction.
- In order to clean the underside of the spool, undo the drag knob and slide the spool off the reel. Before replacing the spool and drag knob, you can grease the main shaft for better performance. You should keep the drag knob loose to prevent pressure of the drag washers when the reel is not in use.
- Lastly, apply high-quality reel oil to the line rollers, bail arm springs, folding handle, and handle knobs. Then, wipe it, if it seems extra. This is called greasing that prevents corrosion. You can also use furniture polish lemon pledge to get a polished look and prevent corrosion.
Maintaining the rod
Cleaning the rod is also necessary. Just wash the rod with clean water. Clean the grips with warm and soap water. You can also use the same grease on rod. You should give your fishing reel a servicing chance at least once in 12 or more months or when your reel gets drenched in water.
It means you should disassemble all the parts before soaking it in the mineral turps. Keep in mind that you have to clean the fishing reel using fresh water and dry them naturally. You should also ensure that the gears and ball bearings are in a sound condition. Last but not the least, avoid using too much grease.
You must have understood by now how to clean fishing reels. It is important to maintain a product in order to enjoy an enhanced lifespan.