Modern times have witnessed numerous inventions and innovations. Ultralight spinning reels are certainly one of them. Spin fishing with ultralight gear has extended the fun to catch fish and made it a plain sailing task. These spinning reels are very essential for lightweight fishing lines and casting lightweight lures. They are mostly used for small panfish species. But they can also be used to attract large fish species. If you are a thrill loving person, you can pick the ultralight reel to deal with large game fish.
Do all the features of ultralight spinning reel match your requirements? If yes, you should definitely get yourself one. But before you do so, let us help you know how to choose a fishing reel. We have mentioned below some factors that you can consider to choose a spinning reel which has ultralight gear:
- GREAT VALUE - Loaded with features yet low on price. KastKing Summer/Centron offers the best value...at any level. The KastKing Summer Fishing Reel turns any angler into a PRO.
- LIGHTWEIGHT - narrow graphite frame design and computer balancing system combined with high performance in the compact Spinning Reel makes KastKing Summer/Centron an awesome gift for anybody who loves fishing.
- HIGH POWERED - KastKing Summer/Centron spinning reel's Superior Drag System offers incredible stopping power up to 17.5LBs. It has a hardened metal main shaft, perfect mesh drive gear and precision machined pinion gear for fish fighting power.
- SMOOTH PERFORMANCE - Summer/Centron's nine quality ball bearings and one instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing give it ultra-smooth performance.
- LOOKING GOOD - Summer/Centron's attractive, brilliant finish and its high strength two color anodized aluminum spool, with a power launch lip for farther casting, holds more line than competitor's models that sell for much more.
The plastic or graphite composed body is basically available in the market. There can be a mixture of graphite or aluminum ally as well. It protects the gear and hence keeps the gear aligned by giving the body the ability to stop flexing when under stress. It helps the funnel of the cranking power to the spool and gear. Also, make sure that the body is made of corrosion-resistant materials, especially when choosing an inshore spinning reel.
2. Gear ratio
Gear is mainly the ratio of spinning reel that is measured by the number of turns the rotor will make per one turn. Although, higher gear ratio is good for using ultralight reel, it applies less power in the reel. An ideal gear configuration ratio is around 5:1.
Line retrieval speed can also be assumed by the size of the spool which means the larger a spool is the more it can hold line and more it can lay down line quickly. Ultralight reels have specific limit of size of the spool that usually can hold around 100-125 yards of 4lb monofilament. Design also matters as it helps significantly in casting.
Bearings ensure smooth operation of reel by supporting internal gear mechanisms. Bearings work by providing friction and eventually allowing the moving parts to lock up. But, you should also take the quality and durability of the bearings into account. In case of ultralight reels, 1-3 bearings are fine.
5. Drag system
Drag system needs to be well-functioned even it is used for lighter lines or ultralight reels. It needs to run smoothly for fishing up past 1-2lbs.
Since we are committed to help you choose spinning reel, we would not end the articles with the factors only. So, here we have provided with a list of brands and their features to let you know about top-notch ultralight spinning reels:
6. Shimano Sedona
Shimano SE2000FE Sedona Spin Reel
- 2000 size
- 165 yds of monofilament
- 9lb of front drag
- Weight: 8.6oz
Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel
- 2×10 model reel line
- Weight: 7.5oz
- Carbon Matrix hybrid drag system
- 10lbs of drag
- 110 yards of 6lbs
- HCPR stainless steel bearing
- 2:1 gear ratio and 30”retreival rate
Daiwa Spinning Reel
Daiwa D-Spin Spinning Reel
- Two models: 500(5.90oz) and 1000(6oz)
- Graphite frame and machined aluminum bail
- Black graphite body and aluminum components
- 500 model: 100 yards 4 lbs test monofilament
- 1000 model: 120 yard 6 lbs test monofilament
- 9:1 gear ratio and line retrieval speed 21.4”
Okuma Avenger Spinning Reel
- Construction: Corrosion resistant graphite material
- Weight: 6.5oz
- Good for small fish fishing
- High retrieval speed with 5.0:1 gear ratio
- 110 yards of 4lb mono and 70 yards of 6 lb mono
- 5lbs of max drag
Pfluegar President Spinning Reel
Pfluegar President Spinning Reel 20x and 25x model
- Graphite body and rotor
- Aircraft grade aluminum arm, bail and spool
- 2:1 gear ratio
- Line retrieval rate: 20x model 20.7 and 25x model 22.4 inches
- 100 yards of 4lb test and 100 yards of 6lb test
Now that you have understood about the factors and the well-reputed ultralight spinning reels models, we hope you would not face any trouble to choose spinning reel. So, what are you waiting for? Hurry up and get that perfect utralight spinning reel for you!