Buying and using should not be the only focal point of any customers. Products demand for its maintenance as well. Moreover, if you desire for longevity of your product you should care to maintain its well-being too.
The same logic applies for fishing reels as well no matter whether you’re having the best musky reel or fly fishing reel. People love fishing with the help of fishing reels but often forget to take a good care of it. Even if you know how to maintain reels that is not enough. Fishing reels gadgets are the crucial components that protect the reel. You should take measures to sustain its durability. So, we have provided here some instructions that you can utilize in your daily life to maintain fishing reels gadgets.
How to Maintain Fishing Reel (Detailed Guide)
Step 1: Collecting Stuffs Needed
Before you initiate to clean or maintain fishing reels gadgets, rush to the nearest store and bring these for cleaning:
- Towel or rag
- Some Q-tips
- Warm water
Step 2: Wiping Away Dirt
The primary task that you should do as soon as you finish using your reel is sponge it very lightly with warm soapy water. The fishing line can be cleaned with it as well. But, never wash or rinse it under high water pressure as it may damage the gearing and drag system. Use grease on places like worm gear. Wipe it with clean cloth and let it dry afterward. You can also lightly spray surface spray for better protection.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE – The heart of a good Spincasting Fishing Reel is in the line pick up system. KastKing Brutus Spincaster reel features a stainless-steel, Dual Pickup system that grabs slack line quickly so you can quickly be ready to set the hook or make another cast.
- HIGH SPEED - With 4.0:1 gear ratio, KastKing Brutus Spincast Fishing reels will pick up line faster and save time in between casts. More importantly, you catch up quickly with fish that may make a run directly at the angler and eliminate slack in your line to increase catch rate.
- SMOOTH AND DURABLE – Brutus Spincast Reels are built for smooth performance with 5 Stainless-Steel, double shielded ball bearings that make this the smoothest bullet reel available today.
- REVERSIBLE HANDLE – Unlike most spincasting reels, the KastKing Brutus push button fishing reel features an amazing aluminum, reversible, double paddle handle with durable rubber grips that can quickly and easily be changed from left- or right-hand retrieve by simply removing the handle retainer cap and moving the handle to the opposite side of the reel. This important feature means that you can have just one spincast reel that best fits any anglers fishing style.
- PRE-SPOOLED WITH PREMIUM MONO LINE – The KastKing Brutus Spincaster style spinning reel has 33% more fishing line capacity than competitive push button reels, which means you can make longer casts, fish for more species in deeper water conditions, and simply have a better fishing experience. It even comes pre-spooled with 160 yards of 10 lb test KastKing Premium Monofilament fishing line so it’s ready to go fishing right out of the box. Great as a trout fishing reel or bass fishing reel.
Step 3 : Disassembling Reel
When it comes to maintaining fishing reels gadgets, you should clean the reel thoroughly. For this purpose, disassemble the reel. Take out the drag knob and slide off the spool in order to clean it from within. Put the cleaning material, such as, oil or grease on the cloth or dip the rag into warm water. Clean the main shaft and replace the spool and drag knob. Keeping the knob untied will let all the pressure pass from the drag washer. You can oil the handle knobs, bail arm springs, folding handle to keep them polished.
Step 4: Removing Parts and Putting Grease
Remove the side plate to clean the gears and bearings and put grease on it. For removing some models offer a detach button and you just have to turn the plate to its opposite direction. You may require a screwdriver to remove side plates in the case of other models. It is necessary to maintain them regularly as well and soak them in a container of mineral turps. Wipe or rinse and let them dry.
Step 5: Oiling the Reel
With the help of Q-tips and oil on it, rub the inside and outside of the bearing. Along with the slide plate, its backside can be oiled too. Cleaning brakes are important also. So, as soon as the spool control mechanisms are done, swipe away dirt from brakes. Q-tips can also be used to put grease on worm drive, spool spindle, reel handle and other moving parts of the reel.
Step 6: Maintaining Rod
The rod and grip should be washed with clean water or warm soapy water. In order to prevent rust, use grease lightly on the rod. Make sure that all the guides are working properly and replace the faulty ones.
As the cleaning procedure is done, assemble all the parts and take a look at your newly polished fishing reel. We should warn you to not disassemble or assemble the fishing reel rather take the expert’s help in this regard, if you find it difficult to deal with.
Do not forget to maintain the hook, lures, baits, spears, nets and other fishing tackles. Always carry reel bags and reel covers to safeguard it in the first place. Never miss to maintain fishing reels gadgets every now and then and have a long-lasting fishing experience!